Sunday, September 21, 2008

blogging for the sake of a blog

And an illustration rant in the process...

Here are some conceptual colour studies for my last illustration assignment.
They were my 1st attempt at digital rendering in photoshop.





The next is my final image for a double page spread. I didn't leave myself time to refine the image or to render it to a better standard. Am annoyed at myself for this as i am not satisfied with the final image.



I plan to have another go at rendering this image during the holidays as i enjoyed the process of colouring through photoshop and would like to have a further attempt at it.

I am not continuing illustration through to the 2nd year of my course as i do not have enough credit space for another elective. I have chosen to continue photography instead, as i believe illustration is a skill which i will be able to develop myself, rather than studio photography which has to be taught.

During high school i illustrated a couple of children's books for a local author. My drawing and rendering skills have already developed significantly since drawing them. When i look back at the images i now think of what a better job i would be able to do of them. Some aspects of the original illustrations make me cringe....
But because i'm a sharing person, here is a small selection of some of the better pages;







It would be interesting to have another attempt at these illustrations using digital media.


One day...

Despite wanting to become an illustrator since i was seven i now expect it to make a better hobby than a career.

No comments: